Monday, October 23, 2006

What's the Point?

It's such a fantastic experience having a blog, especially when you have absolutely nothing to say. And let's be honest. the vast majority of blogs out there are the chronicles of banal occurances of mundane lives. I'm not attempting to exclude myself from those ranks. On the contrary, I find my stuff pretty boring. I've been inhabiting this body for nearly 33 years now and I can assure you that I very rarely find anything interesting going on with it.
But perhaps that's just the point. It only freaks me out because I have this unnatural fear of being mediocre. For me, it's better to suck in the worst way than to be... middle of the road. Maybe some people find it comforting being surrounded by the rest of the herd, complacent in their long march to the middle. But I suspect that is not the case. I suspect that many, if not most, people have blogs or myspace sites becasue it's the same fear of averageness that complels people to want to reach out to those around them in the digital world, to add users as their friends for no other reason than to not feel like a loser. Well, I would much rather be a loser than like everyone else. At least, being a loser is being something.... something that for me is infinitely more acceptable than mediocre.
But what do I know? Truth is for the time being I'm stuck in the middle with you.

No comments: